Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Objective Finding

Depending on what creative problem solving process (CPS) you follow, the stating of objectives is usually the first, second, or third stage.  I like using the process outlined in Koberg & Bagnall's (1991) book Universal Traveler.  From their work, objective finding usually happens during the definition stage--which is the third stage.  From my perspective, however, creative problem solving is not normally linear.  Many experience the process as jumping around between stages.  In my current project, I found that to be true as well.  Last week, I thought I had accomplished the definition stage, and I moved on to the ideation stage.  However, I realized that I had more to define before selecting my idea.

I've attended many meetings where people debate:  What is the difference between an objective and a goal.  From my experience as an urban planner, an objective is a detail that helps you accomplish meeting a goal.  My professor would often tell us, an objective is winning a battle and the goal is winning the war. However, I believe it does depend on the professional perspective

In my own work, I did refine my goal.  I debated whether I wanted to write it down in this blog, because I'm not sure how attainable it is.  I guess that is my first hurdle.  To help me over that hurdle, I think it would be good to publish it on the blog.  My goal:  To become a national expert on the creative problem solving process and its impact on college student learning and development.  

There, I said it.  Of course, I'm not trying to think about objectives.  I know some of my objectives include the following:  Write a research journal article on CPS and student learning; work as a consultant concerning CPS and student learning; speak about the cps process and the impact on college student development.

I have several other objectives that I will list another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment