Sunday, March 25, 2012

Acceptance & Contingency Management

Through my own creative problem solving (CPS) process, I am using this blog to reflect on my journey through CPS and the steps outlined in the process.  In the past few posts, I have written about accepting the challenge ahead of me.  This post is continuing this process.  The "problem" that I'm trying to solve is to deepen my understanding of CPS and become a CPS expert by blogging about my own CPS process.  It sounds complicated--I know.  Stated simply, this blog is my own journal of going through the CPS process with the goal of furthering my own expertise in CPS.  I expect this blog will create several spin-off projects (e.g., consulting, career options, courses, research ideas, new directions, a book).

Currently, I am writing about my own acceptance phase of the CPS process.  Acceptance is usually the initial stage of CPS.  Before you solve a problem, you need to accept that you will go on this journey.  An exercise that can help an individual accept the problem ahead of you is to conduct CONTINGENCY MANAGEMENT (Koberg & Bagnall, 1991).  Everyone has roadblocks as they try to go through the CPS process.  Psychologist have advice on how to manage those instances that block our progress. As a contingency management plan, you can follow the four rules listed below.  Psychologists would call these behavioral modifications.

1. "Understand your limits."  You can only do so much at a time.
2. "Establish feasible goals."  This means you need to understand your abilities and balance them with your project goals and objectives.
3. "Be strict and consistent."  Be dedicated to your work and do not allow exceptions to weaken your standards.
4. "Reward yourself."  To create balance in your life, you must reward yourself when you have met expectations and/or met your goals and objectives.      
(Citation:  Koberg & Bagnall, 1991, p. 48)

No comments:

Post a Comment